Emotional Support Animals

Counseling and Psychological Services staff do not provide assessment or documentation for emotional support animals (ESAs). We recognize that animals can provide valuable emotional support, but unfortunately providing assessment for ESAs is beyond the scope of our services. Our policy on this is consistent with the recommendations outlined by Younggren et.al. (2016) in “Examining Emotional Support Animals and Role Conflicts in Professional Psychology.”  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5127627/

If you are interested in obtaining an assessment and documentation for an ESA, we recommend that you contact your insurance provider to seek a community referral.

If you have an ESA, please be aware that only service animals are allowed in the CAPS building. If you need further information about the difference between service animals and emotional support animals, you can find that information here (https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet). If you have questions about documenting a services animal, please contact the Office of Disability Services (https://ds.uncc.edu/).